An architect originally from Trinidad & Tobago and a designer from the Netherlands met in India and quickly became friends. Their love of design, and sustainability brought them together to design products that exude delight, poetry, and sustainability for communities. Vernelle A. A. Noel is passionate about creating places and products which inspire, engage, and create a sense of place. Strong concepts and stories are at the heart of her designs. She believes designs can tell stories, convey emotions, and share experiences. She continues to enjoy discovering new, innovative forms and tectonics. Vernelle is currently working on designing buildings, products, and educating others on architecture and design around the world.
Gijsbert Koren uncovers himself in his designs; he designs products like a personal love poem to every user. His ideology is that every product contains feelings and love. You don’t use a product from Gijsbert, you get a love affair with it! Gijsbert is currently following technical education at Delft University of Technology and tries his best to use his technical knowledge to design products that really matter to people.
Creating an urban farm to grow food locally and reconnect urban citizens with the origin of their daily food. The product Greenix is an icon that serves as a marker for farmers to sell their products during a farmers’ market.
Greenix reconnects citizens with the origin of their fruits and vegetables. It brings soft greenery into the hard concrete life of a city. Several Greenixes are placed in empty downtown spaces to create an urban community garden. This communicates the city’s environmental consciousness and the importance of locally grown food, while also serving as public art.
• A community’s ‘piece de place’ to communicate sustainability
• An example of using bamboo (a sustainable material) for construction purposes
• A new way of creating green spaces and gardens in urban environments
• A central point for a city’s weekend farmers’ markets to stimulate local food
This product contributes to the overall sustainability and a healthy and diverse ecosystem
1. It is created using sustainable materials (bamboo)
2. It encourages the local growing of a community’s own food
3. It introduces more green space in the urban space
4. Encourages an appreciation of the process of growing food and those in the industry
5. Encourages a respect for the environment, food and others
6. The presence of plants and food may encourage visits by birds, and other fauna
providing a healthy and diverse ecosystem
Because of its high growth rate and easy processing, bamboo is a promising renewable
resource. Bamboo’s good mechanical properties, low costs, abundant availability in
developing countries and potential use in a multitude of applications show the potential of
this versatile resource. Moreover, due to its extensive root network, bamboo as a plant is a
good erosion controller and water table preserver. All this, makes bamboo a sustainable
material and a good alternative for wood and other construction materials.